At the start of the week, deciding to have a break from programming for "Project Junior", I instead chose to look over my resume, portfolio, and website, to see that they were all still up to date. To my sudden realisation that though my resume was very current I hadn't edited my website since two years ago when I decided to quickly put it together with the mindset that I would edit the content later on when I had time. Well, two years have gone by and oh my, the website has no content of what I have done since then.
First things first, I deleted the sketches gallery. I remember when I first placed it up, I put placeholder images I had drawn when I first obtain my tablet. They were not bad, but I felt if anyone were to see those pieces of work they may presume that I consider those pieces as acquit representation of my drawing skills. I plan on putting sketches back on this site but I want them to show my current level.
I also decided rather than have the 2D and 3D pieces separated, I would now place them on the same page in two different galleries. I just found there were too many pages before the viewer could actually see an example of my work. By having the one page the viewer can click the "gallery" link from the front page and immediately go to my featured work.
After removing the extra gallery pages, I added a page for my written work, called "Articles". I created this page as I needed a place where I could put my exegesis from my Honour's year. I wanted to also have a place where in the future if I did write more academically on the topic of game design I could host my work here.
With the pages all sorted I decided to look at the Game page, the main reason why I wanted to create a website in the first place, I wanted to show off the games I created. The main problem with this page is that they only showed off the games I developed while I was still in university and had none of my recent projects. So the first thing I made sure to do was to upload my most recent complete works up, "The Enchanted Door" and "Festival of Realms". It was while I was implementing these pages that I realised I also needed to edit the other game pages. The original pages were literally the game and a sentence to explain the controls. There were no descriptions of the game, an explanation of how the game to be, not even a decent credit section. This definitely needed to change, so I added the components I felt was missing. Currently, I am half way through the pages I need to edit so I'll use the rest of the week to work on that.
And this leaves us with now, updating this blog post. I want to try and write something on the regular. I first want to dictate my process in game develop so others can see and secondarily to show myself the progress I've made on those days where I feel nothing is moving forward.