My prediction in the previous post came true, art is truly the largest obstacle for me. The reason being because I spend so much time on each individual piece until it is at the standard I'm happy for people to see. This means no rough sketches or outlines, the place-holder art is pretty much of a release quality. I don't know if that is a good or a bad thing. On one side it means I am only showing good quality work I've produced, on the other hand, it takes so much time to get it to that point.
The first day of the week, I started with the UI design. I thought if I knew what the rest of the UI looked liked it would better direct where I went with the rest of the assets (tea, extras and tea cups). At the end of that day, I had something nice but it wasn't quite right for a tea salon feel. For the first design, I tried an aged paper look with flourishes on the edges but was informed that the UI looked more like it was for an adventure rather than a tea party. With that, I changed to make the UI resemble a dainty invitation, similar to what you would expect to receive if invited to high tea. The second UI, which is the one I decide to use, took the second day to design and implement. It was at this point where I thought I was making quite good time, as on that second day I also had to fix up a couple of bugs in my code.
On the third day was where the momentum slowed down when I started on drawing the tea cups. Upon starting I had a clear idea of what all the cups were going to resemble, I had some reference images for when I was deciding the recipes, however, what I initial planned as just a rough sketch soon turned into a fully coloured and texture image. I started with the first cup, which I thought at the time, would be the most difficult cup to draw due to the texture and material the cup was supposed to composite. This cup took two days to draw, partially because I used Illustrator instead of Photoshop so I was still learning as I was drawing and because while I was putting on the finishing touches, the program crashed while saving and corrupted the last save, meaning I had to redo a lot of the texturing again. The second cup took a day to draw, I used a lot of what I had learnt the previous days and put them into use for the second cup. On that day I also decided to outline all of the remaining cups, to help quicken the process. The following day I spent three hours on the third cup, again I was able to increase my pace because of what I had learned with the previous two cups. Unfortunately, at this current rate, I won't be able to finish all the art needed for the game and be able to add the extra gameplay mechanics I had initially planned.
I know if I didn't have to worry about the art I would easily be able to achieve everything I wanted for this project. I was hoping I could just quickly put some art together and move on but like everything else I do I am not going to show it to anyone if it is not to my standards and what is the whole point of this exercise if at the end I don't let anyone see what I'm capable of.